Newly crowned KwaZulu-Natal Middleweight Champion George Mdluli believes that his convincing win against Andile Mntungwa will reopen doors for him to challenge for national and international titles.
Mdluli won the vacant KZN title after stopping Mntungwa in the 10th and last round of their pulsating bout at the Olive Convention Centre in Durban last night. Mntungwa’s corner threw in the towel with two minutes; 59 seconds on the clock after their fighter took heavy punishment from a more experienced Mdluli.
Mdluli dominated the fight in the early rounds and landed a heavy over-arm right hook which caused Mntungwa to wobble in the 1st round, leaving a swelling below his left eye. Mntungwa could not deal effectively with the right hand blow which landed at will throughout the fight.
After the fight a triumphant Mdluli said he was agitated by Mntungwa’s comments in the media earlier this week when he indicated that a fight against him would be a mere walkover and he was already planning for his next fight.
“I wanted to teach him a lesson. My plan was to end the fight around the 6th round but he hung on until his corner decided to throw the towel. I’m very happy that I am the champion again. Last year I lost my WBA title and I hope this will show the promoters that I am ready to fight for national and international titles again,” he said.
A distraught Mntunga could not hide his disappointment at the turn of events.
“I am disappointed about what happened today. I’m hoping to get a rematch,” he said.
“We will go back to the drawing board and reinforce what we’ve been doing all along. Andile was unable to defend himself and throughout the fight he was hit by one right hand to his face. I told him throughout the fight to raise his left hand but he was unable to do that. But we will make a comeback,” said Mntungwa’s trainer Alex Mchunu.
The Mdluli/Mntungwa fight was part of a nine-bout professional bill put together by Ses’khona Boxing Promotions, supported by the Department of Sport and Recreation. It followed a day-long feast of Olympic-style boxing showcasing the Province’s upcoming talent. The staging of boxing fights is part of the Department’s plans to revive boxing in the Province by providing opportunities for local boxers to get regular fights and assist in developing local promoters.
Action continues today (Sunday, 12/06) at the Olive Convention Centre with Olympic style boxing in the morning and the professional bill starting at 14h00. The pick of the day is the 12-round South African Middleweight contest between champion Christopher Buthelezi, from KZN, and Gauteng’s Barend van Rooyen.
LIGHTWEIGHT FEMALE (4 ROUNDS)
Sthandiwe Ngcobo beat Bongani Vukeya on points
JUNIOR FEATHERWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Thalene Zulu and Mhlengi Mhlongo (draw)
JUNIOR BANTAMWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Thembinkosi Gubevu beat Simphiwe Sibiya (TKO 1st round)
WELTERWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Kwanele Mabaso beat Reggie Paderez on points
LIGHTWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Siyabonga Memela beat Alex Mzobe (TKO 1st round)
BANTAMWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Musawenkosi Ndwandwe beat Mdumiseni Makhoba on points
HEAVYWEIGHT (4 ROUNDS)
Marc Subramoney vs Zama C Mhlongo (draw)
KZN MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE (10 ROUNDS)
George Mdluli beat Andile Mntungwa (TKO 10th round)